Welcome to Martin Henderson Online, a fansite dedicated to the very talented, versatile, and handsome New Zealand born actor Martin Henderson. Martin is best known for his roles in films 'The Ring,' 'Bride & Prejudice,' 'Torque,' and 'Flyboys,' among many others, as well as television series 'Secrets & Lies' (Australian), 'The Red Road,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' and currently 'Virgin River' on Netflix.

Here at Martin Henderson Online, we will provide you with the latest news and updates as well as the most complete and accurate information on Martin--respectful of his privacy--so be sure to visit us frequently.
Unpopular Opinions

Home Forums Off Topic Unpopular Opinions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Rachelle
    Keymaster
    Rachelle
    Keymaster

“Unpopular opinion: I don’t think your life has to have a purpose, or you a grand ambition; I think it’s okay to just wander through life finding interesting things until you die.
    I think this goes for art too; you can just make the kind of art you find interesting and you don’t have to plan some great arc to your literary career.
    I think the traditional (Western, white) narrative arc has tricked way too many people into thinking their lives have to have one grand epiphany, some flash of great meaning and deep insight, when in reality most people experience these things in much smaller ways throughout life.
    I think this also leads a lot of people to miss the stuff that actually makes them happy, because it’s mostly the small stuff. They spend their entire lives looking for a lightning strike and miss out on everything else.”
    —twitter.com/ambernoelle

Rachelle
    Keymaster

MY opinion on religion…
    Maybe it’s a good thing most religious people haven’t/don’t read their holy books–because not all of it is about peace, love, kindness and mercy. I wish it were (although I’d still need good evidence to believe in any gods)…Religion is a complex part of human culture and has the potential for both good and bad…For all the good religion has inspired over thousands of years (I won’t deny it, esp. the art and architecture)–let’s not forget it also inspired the conquest of America…the Crusades and the Holocaust…ethnic cleansing in Eastern Europe…homegrown and foreign terrorism…and even in some parts of the world in this 21st century–it still inspires actual witch hunts, even though witchcraft is just another unproven supernatural claim. You can be loyal to your religion (and belief in your god) and still acknowledge the ugly within your religion.
    And so you know I’m not just picking on religion…There’s good and bad in just about everything else in our culture too. In sports, you have true champions who’ve trained hard and played by the rules–as well as doped up cheaters…In politics, you have people who genuinely want to serve their constituents–and those who only want the power to serve themselves or the highest paying lobbyists…In business, you have greedy corporations who won’t pay their employees livable wages and dodge paying their fair share of taxes via loopholes or overseas accounts–as well as responsible corporations that give back to their communities and don’t destroy the environment for sake of profit…And I think science is f*cking awesome. It can be used to create technology that helps us advance in medicine–or it can be used to create weapons that are capable of bringing about our total destruction.
    I’m not a fan of religion–esp. when human failings or immorality can be neatly blamed on “Satan” rather than on humans themselves–but my point is that everything is flawed. Nothing is perfectly beautiful…you know…except for Marty. LOL! That man is F*CKING PERFECT!!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Rachelle.
    Rachelle
    Keymaster

Religion, part 2…
    I get that prayer is a powerful doctrine of many religions…I just think that praying is no better than hoping. There are sincere believers in every religion (inc. some godless Buddhists) who fail in relationships, lose jobs, suffer illnesses, watch loved ones suffer, die, what have you…every single day…despite desperate prayers. And the hundreds of millions of other people who say a different god than yours answered their prayers probably suffer from “confirmation bias”–that’s when you remember the hits but forget the misses…like say, praying for three sick pups but having only one survive.
    I also think the choice of god you believe in and/or worship is determined by family and cultural blindness. Perhaps if you’d been born and raised in India, you might be Hindu (and worshiping many gods) rather than Christian, because that is what your family and culture would have dictated. If this were not the case, then everyone would follow one religion and believe in only one god…But they don’t. All gods can’t be real and all religions can’t be true. This is why I prefer science and secularism over superstition and the supernatural…No, science can’t explain everything and no scientist worth his salt would ever claim that…No one knows how life began on this planet–the evidence isn’t there yet and might never be…Life’s origin is a big mystery (hence theories), but how we changed, “evolved,” over time isn’t….I get why many people the world over believe in gods and participate in religions (tradition, community, fear of the unknown or death being final, what have you)…it’s just that for me it makes no sense…But I don’t pity or feel sorry for those who do think it makes sense.. Seven billion people–believers and non-believers–have to share this planet…and I’m good with whatever gets you through the day without hurting someone else.

Rachelle
    Keymaster

On being vegan…
    Not that anyone asked…Just bringing back this post (revised)…LOL!…
    I’ve been an ethical vegetarian, then vegan (refrain from using animal products: eating, wearing, exploiting, what have you), since I was 13 (so over 30 years)….Some people go that route for health, environmental, or religious reasons…but I just always felt a stronger connection to non human animals than to humans and didn’t want to harm them. I felt they should at least be able to live their lives. My parents didn’t freak out–in fact, my dad bought my mom a Vegetarian Times cookbook so she could try some things for me. He told me I reminded him of his “weird aunt”–who was also vegetarian and “jumped the broom” for her wedding. Thanks? LOL!

I love all animals but generally have only had cats–who by nature are NOT vegan (a human concept) and who were neutered (so no, they were not completely free to do whatever they wanted with their lives)–and I don’t have a problem being a hypocrite when it comes to that (my late hubby wasn’t veg either). LOL! The reality is that we humans cannot totally and completely coexist in peace with ALL sentient life on Earth (we humans have a way of f*cking things up, see: the environment). It’s just not possible. I wish it were…I find the speciesism argument to have some validity (the reason I went full on vegan): that one species is not superior to another by virtue of brain size or whether one has skin, fur, or feathers–but I’m human. I just try to do the best I can…
    I don’t give other animal lovers, who eat meat but have companion pets and are anti-cruelty, the stink eye because they don’t think as I do….I don’t get TOO worked up when I hear that some people in China eat dogs and cats just as they do any other animal. I know it’s part of their culture and for many of them, dogs and cats are food, not family members. I don’t fume over the fact that many in India won’t eat cows, but other animals are fair game (and speaking of game–don’t get me started about “sport” hunting, LOL!). Not everyone puts all animals on the same equal level. I get that. I have a friend in Ohio who owns horses and was upset about the whole UK/Taco Bell/horse meat scandal a few years ago–yet she is not a vegetarian or vegan. I get it. All animals are not equal for her and many other people feel the same way.

I don’t think that ANYONE is living a life with ABSOLUTELY no moral conflicts or contradictions (yes, hypocrisies), deliberate or otherwise….Regarding my vegan lifestyle in particular, I hate to admit it, but there is not much, if anything, on this planet that doesn’t have some trace of animal suffering, great or small (the roots are just too deep), so my philosophy is to do the LEAST amount of harm since doing NO harm is impossible (and honestly–f*ck off if you’re a mosquito, cuz I will terminate you!, LOL!).
    Speciesism in its extreme is just too …extreme…and makes no sense when you really think about it. A person would have trouble just walking around outdoors for fear of killing something s/he couldn’t see underfoot–like an ant perhaps. And how could one possibly wash bedding without fear of killing all those dust mites? LOL! This is why I say I do the best I can–the least amount of harm–the best that is HUMANLY possible. Because even as we breathe we kill millions of germs. I’m not gonna end my life for the sake of exercising some unattainable “philosophical purity.” LOL!

Rachelle
    Keymaster

On free speech…
    You can protest the protesters…It’s done all the time…esp. at war protests or anti-abortion rallies…Every American is entitled to their opinion by law (I’m glad we have that right in America)…I just hate when people try to hide behind the First Amendment even when it doesn’t apply. Far too many have missed the point…The 1st Amendment does not say or imply that ALL speech is ok everywhere at all times. There are plenty of restrictions on speech and writing in the U.S. For instance:
    You can’t legally cuss up a storm on a children’s program (Big Bird and Cookie Monster would go ape shit, LOL!)…
    You can’t legally joke about terrorism, bombs, or hijacking at an airport even if you’re a professional comedian (“Hi Jack Sheridan!”)…
    You can’t legally commit libel or slander, threaten to harm someone, or file false police reports…
    You can’t legally lie under oath or in advertising…
    You can’t legally speak about classified information without prior and specific authorization — even in private.
    You can’t legally speak about proprietary information specifics held by someone else or a company (you know…those 2 guys who know the secret formula for Coca Cola/Coke can’t just go blabbing it to the media and then duck behind the 1st Amendment).
    You can’t legally blast your stereo/television after certain hours of the night, or when they create a public nuisance.
    I can go on and on about the many restrictions we have in the US on speech and writing. And just about everyone understands that these are good and desirable things. And just about everyone knows examples of where these have been abused and ignored without any repercussions.
    You can’t really argue about “public property” because the streets are public property but you still have to get a permit to have a parade there, or sell vegan hot dogs, or a lot of other legal activities.
    What pisses me off about certain groups and individuals is how they cross the lines of human decency in order to get their message out. I might personally detest the content of their opinions or views, but I will defend it…In fact, I think most of the shit they say is ridiculous and thoughtless…and I personally think they’re wasting their lives…but then that’s their right too, I suppose. And I will defend it…I defend the right of people to have their opinions, even to disseminate them in appropriate venues–but when they knowingly venture into criminal acts, they’ve crossed the line and no longer have the support of the First Amendment.
    Don’t get me started on the 2nd Amendment (and I’m not even anti-gun). LOL!

Rachelle
    Keymaster

People who have a discomfort with honest history (and science) are a constant pain in my ass…Here’s a brilliant bit of historical reality from John Oliver/his producers…

Rachelle
    Keymaster

Rachelle
    Keymaster

Rachelle
    Keymaster

Rachelle
    Keymaster

Rachelle
    Keymaster

“Lift Every Voice and Sing” was/is meant to be a cultural thing for us–not something to be played alongside the National Anthem, in my opinion (yes, I’m black, LOL!)…I agree with Bill here…

Rachelle
    Keymaster

Rachelle
    Keymaster

Rachelle
    Keymaster

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Log-in

Skip to toolbar